Canon FD 24mm f2.5 - Lens review

 The Canon FD 24mm f2.8 was the other lens I borrowed from a friend in 2018, along with the 100mm 2.8, when I was first getting into vintage lenses.

Yes, I know, I was a little spoiled.

 Anyway, I've never been much into wider focal lengths, you know, 21, 24, 28mm and such, even if I'm often around there when using zoom lenses. I don't know, maybe it's because I shoot portraits a lot, so I tend to gravitate towards longer lenses.

 Using this lens made me realize that wider lenses are not bad at all, especially opening up to that f2.8 and getting smoother backgrounds and isolating the subject, while incorporating more of the surroundings.

 Even if everyone is constantly talking about Canon FDs, I was still a little bit surprised because the quality you get from this lens it's really something, especially if you consider the difference in price between a lens like this and a modern one with the same specs.

 As most vintage lenses, it is a little bit soft wide open, but personally I don't mind, and I'm also the kind of guy who always shoots wide open.

 Colors are the same that we have come to expect from Canon FDs, chromatic aberration and flares are well controlled, there's no blooming and boke balls are mostly round, but they do have some hard edges.

 As all Canon nFDs, the body is lightweight and compact, thanks to the hard plastic body, and mechanics are sound and reliable. Just, don't drop it, ok?

 Distortion seems to be very well corrected and I haven't noticed much, if any at all, of that barrel bulging you often get with wide lenses.

 Truth be told, there is not that much to be said about Canon FDs, so jump over to the video to see the samples:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yashica 135mm f2.8 ML - Lens review

Soligor 28mm f2.8 C/D - vintage lens review

Canon FD 100mm f2.8 - Lens review